Tuesday, June 12, 2012

MEASURING SUCCESS

Over the course of my life more specifically in leadership and ministry, I've discovered that there are many who measure how they're doing from their respective areas of leadership and ministry according to how they see someone in the same position as them are doing. They measure their success by how big another church's membership is or how many ministries or programs they have in place. They measure success by how big that church's budget is or how faithful the giving is of that particular church's membership. They even measure success by what kind of car the other Pastor/Leaders drives or the neighborhood he or she lives in.

The problem I've found out with measuring my personal success according to how/what I see another doing is that it can be very frustrating and discouraging. That's why it's important to understand that God allows things to be so in our lives in proportion to our ability and also our availability. He sees and knows ALL (omniscience)! There are some things we have a Zeal for but not necessarily the patience or tolerance or even mental or emotional strength to handle! There are some things that we haven't acquired the wisdom for yet, but we have the desire to do or be a part of.

I've learned in a very comprehensive way that EVERYTHING happens in God's time/timing! Having the Zeal for something, unfortunately is not indicative of the fact that I'm ready for what it is I have a Zeal for! Maybe there's more growth that needs to happen, more knowledge that needs to be gained, maybe there's more lessons to be learned,  more connections to be made or maybe, just maybe there's more TIME TO BE SPENT WITH GOD! Whatever it is it would behoove us to be faithful and dedicated where we are even through the frustration, the anxiety, the delays, the decline and the set backs.

Furthermore, just because a person, group or organization has seemingly surpassed you in a particular area in life or within their organization, believe me, it's not always a GOD thing! Sometimes things are allowed to happen just to show us, wow "I just wasn't ready for that, this is way too much to handle". So hang in there, be still and know that He is God (Psalm 46:10)! Our promotion comes from Him (Psalm 75:6) and He knows when we'll be ready for what we may think we're ready for right now.

BE STRONG!

Pastor V.

5 comments:

Celeste said...

Pastor, that is so true. I was just having a conversation with my friend about big mega churches and how it has to be difficult to manage at times and still have personal relationships with members. These last couple of months have been such a reminder of how God is in control and things happen for reason and in God's time. Who are we to question Him. He Not only allowed me this time off to grieve but to also be there for a friend in need. Not to share my experience but to lend support and know they are not alone during this time. Pastor, I truly appreciate your humbleness and how relevant you are in sharing your life with us. Love you so much and pray that God continue to bless you and your family. Celeste

Kisha said...

Amen. I can relate to this. Not just in ministry but in my personal life. I found myself worrying about what others may have and what I don't. I'm so glad that I have a Father that speaks to me and told me don't worry about what they have and know that I know what's best for you. Thank you Jesus for the reality check.

James said...

@Kisha and Celeste, you're comments are greatly appreciated!

Chanda said...

Pastor Veney,

I can safely say that most of us have become vulnerable to the thoughts of, "I'm just as good as he/she but why am I not being blessed or elevated," or even, "And I'm living right (your own baromenter of righteous living:) and their ......(ministry, career, marriage, etc.) appears to be more blessed than me. Yes, it happens to us all and probably affects those of who consider themselves to be spirit-led Christians the most! And it is one of the biggest distractors to walking by faith and slipping back to old flesh-filled ways. To be honest, do we REALLY know what we're supposed to be doing? The more we walk with God by faith (trusting him, and EARNESTLY seeking him as Hebrews 11:6 says) he will direct our paths. But the problem is twofold: Most of us expect God to lay out everything for us ALL at once, and I truly don't believe that's God's nature because if he did that we would either become too afraid or disappointed with the task or become soooo boastful of God's complete revelation that we start to trust more in ourselves than in HIM. Secondly, when the frustrations of life comes and we either don't hear or experience God in some grand way, retreating to a comfort zone in our mind (e.g., comparing our situation to another's)begins to become routine. However, can we/I confidently say that "I earnestly sought God" to bless me with another piece of his divine will for my life. Being still and knowing that "He is God" is not just going about your everyday business expecting God to show up and/or reveal something in a major way, rather it looks like something. To me, it looks like waking up @ 5 am excited to start my day off in God's presence, it's forgiving when I know I've been wronged, It's not participating in gossip, It's ceasing from being judgemental, it's not using the word of God to indirectly condemn others since I know that God's nature is to love and not to condemn, eliminating those energy/time wasters in my life (the internet, cellphone, tv for some, arguing for others). I could go on and on, but the bottom line for me, as this post is truly dealing with me, am I earnestly seeking God to ascertain his next "chess move" in my life, or am I just relying on my own ingenuity and calling it God's will? Hope someone is blessed by this.

James said...

Wow, thank you Chanda for this awesome Commentary! Your insight is greatly appreciated!